Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Little More about Inspiration and Collaboration


by Staci Louise Smith

I am sure Genea and I aren't the first ones to ever inspired each other.  For me, inspiration coming from other artists started very young.  I was inspired by music I heard, paintings, the natural world around me, culture, and then............................................ art beads. 
 
When art beads came into play for me, it was the first time I got to have a tangible relationship with the art that inspired me.  Another bonus (thanks to the world wide web) was that I could get to know the artist better through etsy or facebook or blogs.  So inspiration, was inevitably to become collaboration at some point.
 


Art beads by Lisa Peters Art- one of my first loves in art beads- millions of inspirations came from her beads

 
For me, the collaboration part really started with Genea.  She is the creative mind that is bursting with ideas (and energy)!  Really, the collab sets we made were her brain child, since she is the one who ran with matching the colors of my beads. 
 
 
It was her idea to make limted edition sets to offer in 5 color schemes and I jumped at the idea.  It was more of an undertaking then I think we imagined, but I really can't begin to explain how fun it has been to work with Genea and get to know her better through this collaboration.
Genea's headpins with sea glass and swirls
 
On Monday we will be doing a giveaway for ONE of the collaborate sets.  This will be available before they are offered anywhere else.  We are also setting up a flickr group for anyone who purchases (or wins) a set, so you can show off your designs you have made with the sets.
 
I leave you with this thought.....................................
 
Inspiration comes to us and involves only our own imagination.
 
Collaboration is intentional and reciprocal. 
 
This blog is about both, and how one can lead to the other, and us saying....DO IT.  Make your inspiration into collaboration!  It is challenging and rewarding.
 
I hope to have many features on  both of these topics here on the blog for you, and to find others who have collaborated to create works of art together.

21 comments:

  1. I agree totally Staci! Since getting my first artbeads I have found that each one speaks it's own language and I have to listen to it. I am so looking forward to all the posts on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art beads are amazing in so many ways. But what I have found is I love the artist behind them just as much! they are a little piece of their creator, and its an honor to try to make them into a further work of art. So happy to find some others who totally get it;)

      Delete
  2. Love...both of you are very inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, love this and I am meeting about a collaboration today, perfect timing on your post...makes me feel as though I am headed down the right path.
    Love all my art beads:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea and scheme that you guys have here. I always feel that when I work with art beads, it's as if I am collaborating with the artists that created them, it's a wonderful feeling. To take art and make more art - to bring different artists together in a piece of jewellery designed by me - that is collaboration that I love! So excited to see the other sets you guys have come up with, you both have such talent individually and together you are bound to make magic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to be here. Both of you have inspired me with your own blogs, and now it will be double the inspiration with this collaboration. I'm looking forward to the journey ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so glad to have you! Awww thanks so much! I'm glad that we can pass on some of that inspiration. We are too! xo Genea

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your collaboration efforts and seeing it come to fruition. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I am hoping some of this inspiration will rub off on me. I like this whole concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read more about your collaboration, I love working with others and seeing how they can inspire you and you them is fantastic. I remember someone telling me something once from a Stephen Covey book that in order to be successful and learn a highly effective habit you need to share it or teach it. For me that is what collaboration is all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny- that is so true! when we teach, or share ideas, they can bounce around, develop, and evolve into something even better, or bigger or more wonderful!!!!

      Delete
    2. I can't wait to write more about it Penny! I am actually about to work on another post about our special packaging! What a wonderful thought! I agree!

      xo Genea

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the new enterprise, ladies... in general I feel like a collaborator every time I use someone's handmade bead or component, and make something special that only the two of us can produce by working together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In perfect harmony! Your thoughts on inspiration and collaboration are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very excited about your new blog an give away. it would be great if you had a subscribe by email link cuz i don't know how to check with google. i sign up but that seems to be the end and i don't want to miss anything! just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know artists of all mediums who shy away from collaboration. For me, I seek it out. It was the impetus for my first solo art gallery exhibit in 2010. I sought out artists at the local gallery who would collaborate with me to provide me with new works of art. I ended up with 7 artists who provided me with 11 works of inspiration. I then took those pieces of art to art bead artists around the world and asked them to interpret the art in their medium. I can recall vividly that they asked me questions like "how many?" "what color?" "what size?" "what shape?". I told them to let their creative muse take over. Some wanted additional parameters, but most were giddy by the prospect. I told them I had no preconceived notions as to what they would make, and I would buy what they made and go from there. I was blown away by the creativity of what I got. I am still hoarding some of the treasures as they are so special and one of a kind made only for me for this show. It was an incredible experience. I find that collaboration raises the bar, pushes your limits and makes you reach further and higher than you ever thought possible. I will be interested to follow your journey with this. Thank you for sharing your collective passions! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think its why I sooo admire your work Erin! I have seen your pieces you based on the paintings and they are amazing!!! It wonderful to see how many of us are so inspired to work with others. Thus- "the social artist".

      Delete